Monday, February 13, 2012

My Writing Dream...

Origins Blogfest

I'm sure as writers, you have all gotten this question: when did you realize you wanted to write?

My answer is simple: I don't remember a time when I didn't like to write.  I mean, I didn't grow up thinking I could actually try it as a profession, but I still loved to make up stories in my head and occasionally write it all down on paper.

A couple months ago I found an old notebook from middle school with this huge science fiction plot written out.  I had character names, city names, names for currency, the year- it looked almost like some sort of sci-fi dystopian/fantasy.  I was pretty impressed, actually.  Nothing was ever written...but whatevs.  We won't focus on that part.

I think when I actually realized I might be able to do this for real was in college during my first creative writing class.  I didn't major in it (because it still didn't cross my mind that I could actually do this as a living) but I still loved taking any type of English class.  (and now I kick myself for not majoring in English.)

My professor had us all write short stories for the last major project.  I knew something was different when mine turned into a mini-novel of sorts.  Most of us read ours out loud in front of the class- but it took like, two or three class periods to get through mine when everyone else's took one.  But the cool thing is my classmates wanted me to read it!  They got so caught up in it, they were excited to come to class and listen to my story.  My professor was impressed with my world-building.  And then he told me I could definitely go somewhere with this.

That's when the lightbulb went off.  That's when I thought I might actually be able to write a whole book.

I didn't start actually writing my first book until quite a few years later after Little Monster was 3 or 4 and the Hubs practically forced me encouraged me to start, but it was always in the back of my mind after that class in college.  So even though I can't remember my professor's name (I know, shameful!) I still owe him a lot for encouraging me (and the Hubs for buying me my laptop so I had no more excuses NOT to write).

Now, whether or not I get published is one thing- it's more about the fun I have when writing. So even if it never happens, it'll still be fun to see what kind of worlds I can come up with and who I can make come to life on paper.  Besides, my mom and sis will always enjoy my books even if they don't get published.

Go check out some of the other participants in DL Hammon's Origins Blogfest

24 comments:

Stina said...

Great story! You know you've got a winner when the class begs you to keep reading.

Talli Roland said...

I'm loving this blogfest! I think it's great that you write because you love it.

Unknown said...

Teachers really do have a lot of influence, especially when they take the time to push us in the right direction.

Jennifer Hillier said...

Great story! You are a born storyteller, and that will never change, whether you get published or not (but psst... I think you will!)

Colene Murphy said...

I knew this one! But its still a good read and a great story. We're similar in writing bits and making up stories constantly as a kid. But never seeing it as a possible career till much later. You WILL get published! But you have a great mindset about what if not.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You should re-write that old science fiction story. Really!!! It could turn out awesome.
Trust me...
Thanks for participating in the blogfest.

Heather Day Gilbert said...

Enjoyed your post and your writing style. Following!

Nancy Thompson said...

You have a great attitude! I wish I could be more like you. But I wasn't a born storyteller like you. I envy you that. It's very nice to meet you, Abby! I'm a new follower via the Origins bloghop.

Jennie Bailey said...

I'm still amazed that you were able to start when Little Monster was 3 or 4. Your dedication is amazing. And how great that the Hubs bought you a laptop to get you started?!

JeffO said...

Nice story, Abby, thank you for sharing. Like you, my 'first' story was way longer than anyone's. I was fortunate that someone else read it out loud to the class. I don't think I could have done it at the time. Nice to meet you via the blogfest.

Matthew MacNish said...

That's similar to my origin story. Always loved writing, but never thought about it as a career until recently. Thanks for sharing your origin story, Abby!

DL Hammons said...

Kudo's to the professor and high five to the hubs! Where would we all be if we didn't have those people in our lives encouraging us, prodding us forward? Now-a-days the blogosphere serves that role!

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful ORIGIN story! :)

Stewart Sternberg (half of L.P. Styles) said...

I really identified with your finding an old notebook with writing notes. I have stuff from twenty years ago that I have forgotten about and rediscover. At first I think..WOW! What a mind. And then when I read it more critically, I think..WOW! Nevermind.

nutschell said...

Abby,
I love how you kept that notebook--and found it. Those old notebooks are great time machines.

Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

mom said...

Always loved your writing, and somewhere there's an old report card from your 2nd(?)grade teacher saying what a great writer you were!

Tara Tyler said...

writing a whole book is a daunting task. great beginning story =)

alexia said...

I'm bummed I didn't do this blogfest... but, my origins are similiar to yours! I wrote my first story when I was fiveish and have been going ever since.

Theresa Milstein said...

What a cool Origins story. How great you got positive feedback like that during your creative writing class.

Unknown said...

Great post! Keep on loving what you do.

Shallee said...

Yay for encouraging teachers! And encouraging husbands. It's wonderful to hear how we were all helped by others along our writing dreams.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Glad you had some wonderful people encouraging you. Took me a few days to visit you on Origins.

Ellie Garratt said...

Sorry to take so long to read your entry :(

I loved how you still have that notebook. How wonderful to be able to look back and see the talent was always there!

Jeremy Bates said...

Say thank you to people encouraging you.Great post! Keep on loving what you do.

erica and christy said...

(the date on this goes to show how behind I am on reading blogs!)

Thanks for sharing your story! I remember talking to my 6th grade teacher about writing and in 9th grade writing my first novel. It was in a spiral notebook in pencil and went a whole 37 pages (yes, I still have it). :)
erica