Monday, January 9, 2012

Total Epic Crit Partner Fail

So....I'm a horrible crit partner.  

Friday I'm all getting ready to go out of town for Little Monster's gymnastics meet. You know, packing last minute, cleaning the kitchen, running around like a chicken with my head cut off...the usual...and I email Colene to let her know we're leaving in a bit and I probably won't have internet all weekend (we're addicted to emailing each other- if we don't hear from each other within like, 4 or 5 hours we're convinced one of us is dead).

I get this text from her:  Um, so aren't we meeting today?
Me: Uh....
Colene: We're supposed to meet today to go over my section? (we "hang out" on google+ -  pretty sweet gig, actually)
Me: Uh....wait...what?
Colene: Yeah, I sent you my ms last week and we're starting back up with meetings, right?
Me: HOLY CRAP!!  I mean..yeah, totally.... (I'm silently kicking myself because I TOTALLY forgot).
Me: Oh man, we're leaving in a bit...I'm SO sorry.  How about you and Jennie just meet and then I'll send you what I have Monday and then we can go over the next 25 next Friday.
Colene:  Well, you guys aren't sending me your notes, remember?  We're waiting till the end.
Me: Uh...wait...what??  CRAP...what the heck is wrong with me?? (okay so I may have used more explicit words in that text but I gotta keep this post PG...for my mom, you know)
Colene: Um, yeah, we talked about it last week...
Me: Okay I'm stupid...apparently I slipped into a black hole or other dimension when we were emailing about this.  But now I remember.  I'm SO Sorry.  And tell Jennie sorry I totally failed you guys as a crit partner.
Colene: It's okay, don't worry about it.  We'll meet next week.
Me: *love*  (Big sigh of relief.)

Anyway, so that was me crashing and burning as a crit partner.  But it's all good.  I've got our meetings back on the calendar now and I'm good to go!  I'm very lucky my crit ladies love me so much.  I mean, seriously, who wouldn't?  Teehee.

Have you ever "failed" as a crit partner?  Did they ever forgive you?

15 comments:

April Plummer said...

Yes to the first, and suprisingly yes to the second. I suck as a critter. Well, it depends. It's hard when you really don't like the writer's style, which is why I won't crit anyone whose writing I'm not yet familiar with. It's too hard. What if you know nothing and hate the story or the writing or think they're awful? And who am I to think someone's writing isn't up to par anyway?

Meredith said...

I think we all have these moments! I have to carry my planner with me everywhere--if I don't write something down, I know I'll forget it.

Colene Murphy said...

Bahahaha! It's cool Abbsy! I still love you. Off to email! ^_^

Slamdunk said...

Ahhh, life happens. I am sure you'll make it up to them.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

It happens! And I'm a slow reader, so I'm sure my critique partners have wondered about me a few times.

Talli Roland said...

Oh, yes. I think everyone forgets things like that sometimes! :)

Jennifer Hillier said...

It happens to us all! Don't beat yourself up. Life gets in the way of... well, life! all the time.

You guys are so lucky to have each other.

Kristin Rae said...

awww, don't be too hard on yourself!! if I don't keep things written on my calendar, I don't remember them either. :)

And what the heck is google+ and how to you hang out on it???

Angela Brown said...

Aww, well, glad things worked out. Sounds like you have some great crit partners who understand that sometimes, things happen.

I know of one crit partner fail. it was for a story that I started reading and well, I wasn't sure what to say other than to recommend the writer start all the way over so it didn't feel quite like I was slow walking with a senior citizen. I tried to offer to do more reads but I didn't hear back from the person.

Eeek!

Unknown said...

Oops! You're not horrible though. These things happen! And it sounds like you have an awesome relationship with Colene, so of course she'd forgive you for this :-)

Anita Saxena said...

Oh, yes, I have epic failed as a CP before. So don't feel bad.

Anonymous said...

Being a crit partner is a huge responsibility, I agree.
I'm sure many writers and their CPs fall out over the length of time it takes to get others feedback and the type of feedback they are given.

I was once asked to crit a book of short stories the person had already self published...Gulp!

In the end I tackled it by critiquing one story in detail and then the whole work in general.

While it's impt to take sufficient time over it, I found the pressure was on to rush the feedback to the anxious author who was waiting impatiently for some validation.

Jennie Bailey said...

Yes, you're the WORST Crit Partner ever and we only forgive you because we don't want you to unfriend us on Facebook (Kylie's gymnastic pictures are too adorable to miss out on!). You crack me up - I can totally hear you saying "wait...what?" You totally have an excuse right now.

Jennie Bailey said...

Notice I avoided answering your question... :-)

mom said...

Nice to be reading your blogs again, but you know you don't have to PG things for me; did you forget who first taught you some of those non-PG words? love, mom