Monday, February 7, 2011

Firsts

First "First": Well guys it's finally happened.  As I was reading blogs and commenting yesterday, I was shocked to find the SAME word verification on a blog that I had seen just moments before on another blog.  I never thought in a million years that the word verification thingy repeated itself.  But, folks, sadly it has.  I'm a little disappointed.  I thought blogger was better than that.  But apparently it loves "ingsibe" so much it needed to use it twice.

Second "First": Tonight is my first time on the chopping block with the new crit group.  And let me tell you, this group consists of three of my best friends I've made in this blogging community.  They are so sweet but honest and will tell me how it is no matter what.  Which makes me a tad bit nervous.  But at least they think I look pretty when my video freezes every couple seconds.

Third "First": Little Monster and I survived our first 4-day stretch of snow days off from school.  Barely.  Creepy voices and lipstick stains aside, we had a blast.  Although it does make me a little worried about summer vacation...I'm getting used to this whole school thing.

Fourth "First": This is the first time I am in the vicinity of 22 awesome YA authors.  They are all secretively holed up in a lodge 30 minutes from me staring at moose heads and stuffed animals.  Not of the toy variety.  BUT they are doing awesome chats at 8pm eastern every night until the 8th.  So I can at least pretend I'm in the same room as them.

Fifth "First":  Buffy battled "The First" and won(ish) against it.  Okay, she kind of turned her town into a huge sinkhole, and there may be another hellmouth in Ohio.  But whatever.  She's still awesome. 

These have been my "Firsts" lately (okay except the Buffy one- I watched that a long time ago- but I just had to put it. I mean, c'mon...it's Buffy). 

What "Firsts" have you experienced recently?

P.S. Go check out Shallee's blog from Life, The Universe and Writing.  She's doing an awesome contest for a great cause.  For every 5 dollars you donate to help her friends from Ghana go to school, you'll get entered into a contest for a critique of your first chapter from an agent!

P.P.S. AND this is my first time making it to 200 followers!  Thank you so much you guys- you totally rock.  Like, if I could come through that screen and kiss you, I would.  But I won't because, well, we can't do that.... yet.  Anyway.  Thanks for reading my drivel and actually caring to follow.  Love you, and you, and you, and you over there Mr Lurker- I love you too.

24 comments:

Melissa said...

Congrats on making it to two hundred followers Abby! It is well deserved! SO many firsts! I hope the snow has calmed down a bit and you can get back to life as usual. Lucky you, being so close to so many amazing authors! And...I don't think tonight will be as bad as you think. Just saying.... ;)

Oh blogger! Why do you fail!!

Also... how is nathan fillion and sarah michelle gellar in the SAME picture... were they in something together?

Candyland said...

Yay for 200 followers!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know what you mean about kiddos home from school. I don't know what I'll do on summer vacay:/

Unknown said...

Congrats on making 200 followers! Good luck with your crit. group. It is always hard putting yourself out there for the first time, but I am sure you will do great!

Sondrae Bennett said...

I appreciate that you put Buffy fighting the First. :)

Talli Roland said...

Wow - a lot of firsts! :) Congrats on the 200 followers, and good luck with the crit group!

Laurel Garver said...

Wishing you all the best with the new crit group. The first few times are the hardest as you all get a feel for how to help each other best.

Congrats on 200!

Kindros said...

Grats on 200, glad I was here for it.

Also, Nathan Fillion is amazing. Never saw him as the preacher, but saw almost the rest of his work. Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog was a fun 45-ish minutes. Nathan is great in that too.

Colene Murphy said...

200!! Whoo!!! Ah...Buffy...We are so going to be kind tonight!! You have nothing to worry about! You are an amazing writer and now everyone knows it!!!
I'm a little sad Melissa doesn't know why they are in a picture together...evil priest was awesome!

Kimberly Franklin said...

Congrats on your 200 followers!!! It's so funny that you say that about word verifications. I got a really funny one the other day ( I can't remember what it is now), but I've never seen the same one twice. That's crazy!!

xoxo, The BooKrushers.

Dana Strotheide said...

Congrats on your 200 followers!

Jennie Bailey said...

We may have to send Melissa our DVD sets. ;-) Congrats on over 200 followers! That's amazing! And how far behind am I with the new blog layout...please tell me this happened with the last two posts or so. It looks great! So professional. No worries about the critique tonight. We can't be anything but kind when we love it!!

Angela said...

It sounds like you have a wonderful crit group. And congratulations on hitting 200 followers.

DL Hammons said...

Kudo's on hitting the 200 follower mark! No small achievement I'll tell ya.

And I make concessions for Buffy all the time! :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's a lot of firsts - and big congratulations on 200 followers!

Golden Eagle said...

Congratulation on 200+ Followers! :)

I've never gotten the same word verification twice in a row--although I have had to put in a few several times on different days. I recognize them.

M Pax said...

Good luck with the new crit group. CP's make us better. So keep that in mind - they're helping you to get better.

I actually watched Buffy for the 1st time a few weeks ago. Tragic, huh?

Anonymous said...

I really like your blog's new look!

Congrats on reaching 200 followers!

Here's hoping your critique group offers up tons of helpful insight. I've never been a part of one, so I can't offer any thoughts as to what they're like, but it sounds like you have a good thing going.

erica and christy said...

200, yay!! Good luck with your round of critiques - I'm sure they'll love it and all you'll have to change is a comma or two. :)
erica

Theresa Milstein said...

Congratulations on making 200 followers for your first time!

I'm going to be in my first book. It's a short story in the upcoming 100 Stories for Queensland. That's my big first.

Meredith said...

Congrats on 200 followers! And good luck with the critique group!

alexia said...

Congrats on 200 followers!

Donea Lee said...

Congrats, again - on 200! That's great! Your crit group already appears to adore you, so I'm sure you guys will have a blast. *jealous* And thanks goodness Nathan redeemed himself in Serenity! He was so creepy on Buffy... :)

Carol Riggs said...

Woohoo, congrats on the 200+ followers! Enjoy your week and your critter group!

Unknown said...

Ha, ha! I love your first "First"! SO random!

And congrats for 200 followers! So exciting :) I'm slowly creeping towards that number...